The Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center will reopen on Thursday, Sept. 10, at 5:30 a.m., following Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s signing last week of an executive order reopening Michigan’s gyms and pools.
The executive order is subject to strict protections meant to limit the spread of COVID-19. As a result, the following policies will be in place:
- Only currently enrolled Wayne State students, faculty and staff are permitted to enter the MHRFC.
- A maximum capacity of 100 people, including staff, at a time.
- Face coverings are required at all times.
- The Campus Daily Screener must be completed and shown to MHRFC staff prior to entry.
- Lockers, showers and equipment checkout are not available.
- Towel service is not available.
- Bike rental is not available.
- All equipment has been spaced or closed to maintain social distancing guidelines of six feet or more as outlined by the State of Michigan.
- Cleaning products for machines will be available before and after use. MHRFC staff will also clean equipment throughout the day.
- Separate entrance and exit will be used.
- Climbing wall will be open (maximum of two climbers at a time). Must use online reservation system.
“The staff at Mort Harris has worked very hard to ensure that it could reopen as soon as the governor gave the green light,” said Rob Fournier, athletic director. “We believe that if our protocols are followed, the MHRFC offers our members a great opportunity to enhance their physical and mental health and well-being.”