More than 2,000 stories featured or mentioned Wayne State in media outlets around the globe during fiscal year 2019, which ended Sept. 30. Included in the overall number were 996 stories focusing primarily or exclusively on the university – known as Tier I media placements.
Since tracking media placements began in 2002, this year’s Tier I total tops all previous years, representing a 9.2% increase over 2018 and 507% overall from the 164 total placements in 2002.
Wayne State’s Office of Marketing and Communications annually reviews media activity to determine the content of news coverage and geographical reach. Data is captured through several monitoring tools and identified by a tier structure — Tiers I, II and III. Tiers II and III — though not focused entirely or exclusively on Wayne State — feature faculty experts commenting on trending topics — commonly referred to as pull quotes and soundbites — or topics shared with other institutions.
Tier I stories are often pitched or facilitated by Wayne State communications professionals. Another component of the annual media review is advertising value of the stories, which refers to the actual cost of purchasing comparable advertising space for each story. The estimated advertising value of 2019’s stories is $17 million.
“This year’s data reflects our continuing efforts to proactively pitch story ideas to media and respond quickly and effectively to reporters’ inquiries,” said Matt Lockwood, director of communications. “In addition, as we review the data going back nearly two decades, we’re able to see the results of our efforts on a broader scale and move forward with communication goals consistent with the university’s overall marketing strategies.”
This year’s stories extended from Detroit area dailies, television and radio to national media outlets such as New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, Fox News, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, Boston Globe, Yahoo News and numerous international outlets.
A sampling of major stories included:
- Wayne State graduation rate improvement best in nation
- Warrior Way Back: An innovative debt-forgiveness program at Wayne State University
- Wayne State helping students affected by government shutdown
- Mother of eight to graduate from Wayne State with engineering degree
- Blind Wayne State student shares inspiring secret to success, gets tattoo to celebrate passing organic chemistry
- Wayne State partners with Microsoft to help make students employable in high-demand jobs
- Researchers at Detroit’s Wayne State find link between Zika virus, glaucoma
- Wayne State University and University of Detroit Mercy receive over $19 million for research program
- $5M pledged for new opioid addiction treatment program in public, private partnership
- Wayne State University, Michigan Mobility Institute launch new mobility center
- Driving heart health: Wayne State participating in national study to address diabetes, heart disease and stroke
- Wayne State, Detroit Pistons announce $25M basketball arena
- Wayne State University marks milestone 150th anniversary, major fundraiser
The Wayne State Newsroom serves as the hub for news, announcements and information of interest to the campus community. Many of you and the people you know on campus are doing compelling things, but in order for the Public Relations team to spread the good word, we have to know about them. Whether it's about a personal hobby or publishing a major paper, if you think it's interesting, we likely will too. Please share your story ideas.