WHAT: Great Grocer Project launch and press conference
WHEN: Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 9 a.m.
Meeting ID: 970 2775 2241
- Winona Bynum, executive director, Detroit Food Policy Council
- Rachael Dombrowski, assistant professor, Wayne State University
- Juan Escareño, director, government relations and community outreach, Midwest Independent Retailers Association
- M. Roy Wilson, president, Wayne State University
- Ingrid Guerra-Lopez, interim dean, Wayne State University College of Education
- Charles Walker, retail specialist, Fair Food Network
- Shirley Burch, Imperial Fresh Market
- Vincent Nona, Parkway Foods
Wayne State University, Detroit Food Policy Council and members of the Detroit Grocery Coalition will host a press conference announcing the launch of the Great Grocer Project, a community-based program to strengthen relationships between independently owned grocery stores and their customers, increase awareness and sales of healthy foods, and foster economic vitality in Detroit neighborhoods. Representatives from Imperial Fresh Market and Parkway Foods will discuss what it is like to be a grocer in Detroit and efforts to address food insecurity.