Lance Gable, associate professor at Wayne State University Law School, is an internationally known expert on public health law and bioethics, whose research focuses on the overlap among law, policy, ethics, health and science. In addition to his training in law, Lance has a Masters in Public Health. Gable has worked with the World Health Organization, the Pan American Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He has also helped the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services develop ethical guidelines for the allocation of scarce medical resources during public health emergencies.
“But, with a higher level of commitment and attention, we can greatly improve our pandemic response systems and save lives.” - Lance Gable, The Conversation, 2018
His expertise includes:
- The overlap of law, policy, ethics, health and science
- Preparing for and responding to public health emergencies
- Legal powers during public health emergencies
- The intersection of health, ethics and the law
- The Flint water crisis
Lance’s paper titled “Evading Emergency: Strengthening Emergency Response Through Integrated Pluralistic Governance” was published by the Oregon Law Review. Also, he is co-editor and co-author respectively of two books: Research with High Risk Populations: Balancing Science, Ethics and the Law and Legal Aspects of HIV/AIDS: A Guide for Policy and Law Reform.
Selected media clips:
- Courthouse News: Legal experts call on officials to shore up pandemic response
- Detroit Free Press: Why Gov. Whitmer is likely to win the GOP lawsuit over her emergency powers
- WXYZ: Republican-led lawsuit against Gov. Whitmer heads to court today
- WDET: Surge in Detroit COVID-19 Patients Could Lead to Rationing, Do Not Resuscitate Orders
- Texas Public Radio: Quarantine, Social Distancing, Shelter In Place: Know Your Rights And How To Cope
- The Conversation: 3 ways the US should prepare for the next flu pandemic
- JPHMP: Seven things you should know about legal epidemiology
View his complete faculty profile here.
To reach Lance Gable, please contact a member of Wayne State’s Public Relations team.