- Hannah Mathers Warrior Weekend in the D – End of finals edition
- 3:43 AM Dec 13
- Halie Mcintosh Project 5: Paste Up Book
- 3:49 PM Dec 12
- Jessica Bauer Arguments for A Standardized Interview Approach
- 12:04 PM Dec 12
- Jessica Bauer What to Say to a CEO About Coaching
- 11:59 AM Dec 12
- Veronica Bielat ERIC PDF Restoration Project Update
- 11:27 AM Dec 12
Scholar stresses importance of bilingual classrooms
Maria Torres-Guzmán, a Detroit native and professor at Columbia University Teachers College, gave a powerful talk to a crowded room of Wayne State students, faculty across colleges, community members, K-12 teachers and administrators on Sept. 13 in the College of Education. Her talk drew from her book Global Perspectives on Multilingualism.
Torres-Guzmán stressed the importance of connecting discussions of bilingualism in the U.S. to the international context in order to recognize how language is enmeshed with cultural hybridity. In response to questions regarding Michigan's 2011 repeal of section 41, support for bilingual instruction, Torres-Guzmán said it is critical to promote bilingual programs, such as two-way immersion, as pathways to multilingualism.